Foodbuzz

Sunday 21 August 2011

Chai (Spiced Tea)

Pin It!


Even though it's suppose to be summer, the weather has been cold and gloomy so it feels more like autumn somehow. Having lived in the UK for almost 5 years, I should probably have already gotten used to the erratic weather. It sometimes snows in April and Oct. I've encountered rain, hail, snow, bright sunshine all in a day. Weather that alternates between heavy rain and bright sunshine every hour. I should have gotten used to it by now but somehow I haven't, just like lots of people over here. I now understand why the British like talking about the weather so much as it's really something you'll have to experience before believing.


So on days when it's cold, nothing warms me up better than a nice cup of Chai(spiced tea). Chai originates from India and every household have their very own special recipes so after going looking through quite a few, I came up with this version that may be a little more gingery then the norm so feel free to adjust the spices according to your taste






Ingredients:
1 big thumb of ginger (sliced thinly)
10 whole black pepper
1 cinnamon stick
3 green cardamom pods
3 cloves
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 star anise
grating of netmeg
2 black tea bags
1.5 cups water
0.5 cups milk
Sugar to taste






Method:
In a pestle and mortar, crush up the black pepper, cinnamon, fennel seeds, cloves, star anise and cardamom. 


Place all the crushed spices, ginger and water in a pot and simmer for 20 mins.


Add milk to the pot, boil for a minute before adding the tea bags and boil for a further 2 mins.


Pour the chai through a sieve, add sugar to taste and enjoy!! :)









9 comments:

  1. I always start my day with a hot cup of chai! Can't live without it :) I love with juts ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love chai so much!
    I never had a "selfmade" cup of chai, this should change now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since my neighbor Indian friend taught me how to make chai, I've been drinking EVERY SINGLE DAY...for years! I bookmarked this. I can't wait to try your version. I usually put just cardamom and ginger. Excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am Sonia's Oggi pane e salame, domani...blog (pardon my bad English) glad to know ^_^ I found your photos on Dishfolio and so I decided to follow you so far, now are among your followers ^_^ go to see when you want.
    Have a nice day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your tea cup and saucer - just too pretty!
    What a fabulously flavourful and spicy tea.
    Have a happy week.
    :-) Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing caught my eyes was your tea cup! So lovely! Then I saw the list of the ingredients you used, wow, this is a real dedication for a cup of tea. Except for the ginger and star anise, I only have the powder spices. I believe grinding them fresh will give the best result, but I`ll just try this out with what I have here. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. chinmayie: it really is a lovely cup of tea but i think i don't drink it often enough!
    lavieenfribourg: yes, try making it yourself as it's real easy! :)
    Nami: Hope you'll like this version too!
    Sonia: Thanks for visiting and following!
    thecompletecookbook, Arudhi: Thanks! I love the tea cup set too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait for the cooler days to enjoy some spiced chai!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usual buy the tea bags, but this looks so easy! I need to start making my own because we have afternoon hot chai on cold days and cold chai on hot days! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...