Foodbuzz

Sunday 28 August 2011

Chamchijeon - Korean Tuna Pancakes

Pin It!


I've been visiting maangchi.com since my friend, Evelyn,  a very keen cook, introduced me to it. Love this website as it contains easy and delicious Korean recipes and I for one, don't know too much about Korean food other than Korean BBQ, kimchi, bibimbap(mixed rice), pajeon(green onion pancake and bulgogi(marinated BBQ beef). Yup, i think that's about it. Oh and kimchi chigae (kimchi soup). :P So I am definitely learning more about Korean food through this website!!


Here's one easy side dish that i made recently, Chamchijeon or Tuna Pancakes. Some how it kinda changes the taste of canned tuna and is somewhat chewy and really tasty so it's a winner!!


Adapted from Maangchi. com


Ingredients (for 2-3 servings):
1 can of tuna (5 oz: 142 grams)

onion
garlic
salt
ground black pepper,
sesame oil
egg
flour
canola oil
chives



Directions:
  1. Strain out the liquid from a can of tuna and place it in a bowl
  2. Add ¼ cup chopped onion, 1 minced garlic, 1ts salt, ¼ ts ground black pepper, 1 egg, 1 ts sesame oil, chives and 2 tbs flour to the tuna and mix it well.
  3. Heat up a non-stick pan and spread 1-2 tbs canola oil.
  4. Scoop a spoonful of the tuna mixture with a spoon and place it on the heated pan.
  5. Press slightly and round the edges with the spoon.
  6. Make 6 small size pancakes with the tuna mixture.
  7. When the bottom is cooked golden brown, turn it over and cook until both sides of the pancakes are golden brown. Total cooking time is 3-5 minutes.
  8. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a serving plate and serve with rice.

13 comments:

  1. You know, I live in Korea and I have only made kalbi once. It is so much more fun to go out to get it. I have never seen these tuna pancakes before but they look magnificent and simple to make. I will have to try them when I get back to Seoul. And great web find! Maangchi.com is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like pajeon but I have never tried the tuna version. Sounds really delicious for sure. I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah..yes, I enjoy learning some recipes from Maangchi.com too. A very interesting lady with great food indeed! Your tuna pancake looks very yummy and great for tea accompaniment in the afternoon. Or for anytime :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look fabulous and so good! Great savory pancakes.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this does look like a yummy side dish! Thank you for sharing Maangchi site. I shall hop over to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of canned tuna but i'm tempted to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful recipe....love it!

    Chk out my Diwali Event:
    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/diwali-festival-of-lights-event-aug.html

    and On Going Event - Strawberry Desserts

    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/event-berries-strawberry-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenelle, I definitely agree that it's more fun to go out to have korean but there are not too many good korean places in London and it's a but of a track to get to a good one that's out of London so I shall have to try making my own. :)

    Three cookies,Jun: Hope you'll like this version too!

    Arudhi: Great to know that you are a fan too!

    Rosa,Anu: Thanks for the compliments!

    Shirley: Am sure you'll fall in love with Maangchi too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sylvia! I think I came across this website before but forgot about it. She has so many wonderful Korean recipes (yes, not just BBQ) and I should check out some dishes we like too! Maybe this pancake first....we love Korean pancakes too! Looks delicious and I like this one because we always have these ingredients at home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make something very similar to these and now you've just reminded me of them! These pancakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy Korean seafood pancake quite a bit and your take on tuna is surely an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks really good! I want to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE Korean food, all kinds. But I live in the middle of nowhere, so access to ethnic ingredients are difficult to come by. But I think I can find the ingredients on your list for this recipe, so thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...