Foodbuzz

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Sedap Restaurant

Pin It!
There was once a Malaysian restaurant in Notting hill, once that was popular amongst the Singaporen/Malaysian crowd in London. One that served authentic food and a good range of kueh. It was called Nyonya. It closed quite suddenly as my friends and I just thought that they were undergoing renovations. No one seems to know where they moved to.


Fast forward to 2011, we were planning to go on the Alternative London Tour, one I would recommend to everyone who wants to see another side of London. Okie, enough with the self promotion already! :P The walking tour was going to end in the Old Street area and so I went about looking for somewhere nearby we could have dinner in. Lo and behold!! Sedap which means delicious, came up and a friend once said that it's pretty good so I thought, why not? Let's give it a go!


So off we went in search of the restaurant located about a 5 mins walk from Old Street tube station. A small restaurant that can take about 25 covers. 


We started off with a teh tarik(sweet pulled tea) that had just the right amount of condensed milk but too bad it didn't have that foamy top that usually comes with one. After pondering over the menu,  we finally decided on Nasi Lemak and the Belacan(Shrimp Paste) Chicken.


Belacan Chicken
The belacan chicken smelt so good as it was brought to the table piping hot!!! When i bit into it, it was like oohh lala!!! Oh so crunchy, sweetish on the outside, so succulent and moist on the inside! Mmmmmmmm........This is definitely one dish that I'll order when I dine here, a dish that makes me smile, a plate of deep fried goodness.....


Nasi Lemak - Coconut Rice with Chicken Curry, Fried Fish and peanuts
The curry chicken was well flavoured and not too spicy while the coconut rice was very fragrant but it was a tad too soft for my liking. 


2 kinds of kueh are sold here every day but we were so stuffed that we couldn't eat any so we had to buy some to have at home. However, they didn't survive too well on the journey back home so no pictures today. However, they were fresh and delish!!


I also heard that they do a smashing Char Kway Tiao(Stir-fried thick rice noodles) too so that's next on the list!! That together with the awesome belacan chicken once again!


Sedap Restaurant
102 Old Street
City of London EC1V 9AY

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving that sweet comment! This looks like a wonderful restaurant overall and I love the sound of that belacan chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The belacan chicken sounds especially good here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding delicious restaurant food! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the shots! So fun to have another S'porean visiting my blog. I'm following u now & hope u'll do the same. Looking fwd to more sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belacan chicken. That I got to try, someday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic- my husband (aka The Hungry One) works just near Old Street. I'm putting it on the list! Thank you so much for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge drool going on now... Ever since I learned about Nasi Lemak, I have been curious how it tastes like. And with this chicken curry... my gosh, it'll be my perfect meal! I'm so envious you can easily eat this dish at a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faith, 5 star foodie, Angie, Lina: The chicken was absolutely divine!!

    Joanne: Yes, That's one of my fave thinga to do too! :)

    Blackswan: Thanks for visiting!! :)

    Tori: No probs. Let me know how it is when you've check it out!!

    Nami: Am sure there's somewhere over there where you can try this dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good tip for a trip to London!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That photo of Belecan Chicken looks good enough to eat! Yum!

    The Twerp and I

    ReplyDelete
  11. The restaurant is very closed to HW place and we went there once- maybe I was in a good mood but I don't remember anything being especially good. But it's probably worth visiting again...maybe we can go together once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been there in quite a while so yes! we should visit it again together!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...