Foodbuzz

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Peach and Tomato Pasta

Pin It!

I got to admit that I haven't been too adventurous with cooking savoury dishes with fruit of any kind. However, recently I came across a Peach and tomato pasta sauce recipe at Eat well with Others and decided that this 'not cooking with fruits' business has got to change!




And boy was I glad that I tried this out as it was delicious! The sweetness of the peaches cuts the acidity of the tomatoes making it a very well balanced dish and the use of cinnamon adds a bit of warmth. 






Adapted from Eat well with others.
Serves 3


Ingredients
5 medium sized tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 large peaches, chopped
1 onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 can chickpeas
A bunch of basil, leaves plucked and stalks chopped
250g penne pasta


Method
Heat oven to 200 deg C.
In a lightly oiled baking dish, stir together tomatoes, peaches, onions, garlic, olive oil, salt, cinnamon, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
Roast uncovered for 40 mins, stirring at least twice during cooking, until ingredients have softened and thickened.
Stir in chickpeas, balsamic vinegar and basil stalks after 30 mins.
Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Mix pasta with sauce and basil leaves.
Serve.



10 comments:

  1. This pasta dish is lovely! What great flavrs and colors. I really love the idea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peach and tomato??? And I have thought fruit and vegetable pairings will never surprise me again! A very original dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, I have been thinking of experimenting with fruits and this post motivates me. BTW tomato is technically a fruit so you had fruits with pasta:) Have you tried peaches with donuts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks like it will taste delicious and also fabulous for the photographs! I love when my food turns out to be such models for the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosa, Emily: Thanks!
    Sissi: It's just too bad i didn't come up with it. ;)
    Three Cookies: Will be looking forward to your creations! and yes, i should give peaches with donuts a go! haha
    Sweet Cupcaker: I absolutely love it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the colors! perfectly peachy for peachie!:)

    Richa@ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peach and tomato-
    I have never thought of this combination but I am sure I would love it:
    tomato always needs a bit sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the kind of pasta dish I need when I go out and eat....
    So creative...
    Pretty colors and look at the peaches....
    Yumm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely agree, Sylvia. I made a stuffed chicken breast last night but instead of adding raisins, I diced up a fresh pear. The pears are GREAT this year!!! It was exciting!!! I even added a diced up Gala apple to the macaroni salad last week. I'm just getting my feet wet but I too plan on including fruit much more in my meals.

    Now, as for your Peach and Tomato Pasta, wholly goodness. This is just wonderful. I'll be saving it for sure!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to put peaches in pasta! That's something totally new that I wouldn't think of it by myself. I have dozens of peaches in the fridge already and I need to use it soon. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...