Foodbuzz

Friday 28 October 2011

Panko crusted eggplant with Sesame Ponzu Sauce

Pin It!
In addition to the Negi Miso Chicken I mentioned in my last post, i also made some Panko crusted aubergine/eggplant with Sesame Ponzu sauce to go with it. I actually combined 2 recipes(Eggplant with Sesame Ponzu Sauce and the Eggplant Parmesan with Meat Sauce) I came across on Nami's Just One Cookbook Blog for this dish so I think I may have bastardise her recipes. Hope you don't mind, Nami! 
I just made a trip to the Japan centre supermarket in London(it's not often that I shop there) and bought myself a pack of Panko breadcrumbs as well as a bottle of Ponzu. As always, I was excited to use these new ingredients so I thought why not combine both to create a somewhat new dish. It actually worked quite well as the eggplants were a little oily from being deep fried so it was balanced off by the sourness of the Ponzu sauce which cuts through the oil nicely.
Adapted from Just One Cookbook
Ingredients
1 medium eggplant/aubergine
1 spring onion, chopped
Flour
2 eggs,beaten
Panko
Oil for frying


Dressing
2 tbsp Ponzu
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 pinch of salt


Method
1) In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the dressing and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
2) Cut the eggplant into 1/3 inch thick rounds and soak in water for 10 mins. According to Nami, this will get rid of the tart taste and prevent the eggplant from changing colour.
3) Dry the eggplants with paper towels.
4) Dip eggplant in flour, shake off the excess, then dip it in egg, again, shaking off the excess. Finally dredge it in panko until evenly coated. Side this aside and continue with the rest of the slices.
5) In a large non stick frying pan, heat 1/4 inch of oil on high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, deep fry the eggplants until golden brown. When it's done, transfer them onto a plate with paper towels so that the excess oil can be soaked up.
6) Placed eggplants on the serving plate, sprinkle spring onions over it and either dip the eggplant into the sauce to eat or pour the dressing over the eggplants to serve.







16 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I would enjoy this Sylvia. I'm just not sure about the Ponzu Sauce. I must look into it. I do adore panko eggplant, however:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia! I love panko crusted eggplant! I can easily eat like 5 pieces and love the extra crunchy texture.... I need to give that a try next time! =) Thank you for sharing and linking back to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love melt in your mouth deep fried eggplant! Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am salivating looks at this eggplant dish! That looks perfectly golden and crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like something I would enjoy eating very much! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks fantastic. Even though I grew up with eggplant, I've only recently developed a palate for them. This is one of those dishes that I would truly enjoy. Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sylvia, I have made the extraordinary eggplant with ponzu at least ten times since I saw it on Nami's blog. Your combination of two Nami's recipes looks delicious so creative! I would call it "Nami & Nami Egpplant" (or aubergine for some of us ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Louise: Ponzu is a citrus sauce somewhat like squeezing lemon over it so give it a go..you might be surprise with the taste.
    Nami: Thanks so much for the great recipe!
    Fern,chinmayie: they definitely were good!
    Jeannie: am sure you'll like it too! :)
    The Mom Chef: Thanks for dropping by.
    Sissi: haha i'm definitely making it very often from now on! I actually call it aubergine too but since i used Nami's recipe, i thought i'll just stick with its original name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really appealing. I have tried eggplant fritters made using regular batter and what was delicious. This one looks quite delicate. Nice dipping dish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those eggplants look gorgeous! yumm yumm!

    Richa @ http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pictures look like they had been taken during a visit in a really fancy restaurant, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made something similar a few weeks ago. Glad to see another version. I'm sure it's just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great dish! That way of serving eggplants is just amazing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my word - this is on my list of things to make! yum!

    http://fourteaspoons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Recipe Eggplant is amazing, well done

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...