Foodbuzz

Thursday 6 October 2011

Quinoa Stir-fry with kale, chilli and nuts

Pin It!


Here's me on my quinoa kick again! :) Absolutely love it after cooking it for the 1st time so I was on a lookout for more delicious combination of ingredients. This time, it's one that's quite like a Chinese Fried Rice. I may just replace the rice aspect of a fried rice with quinoa from now on. ;)
Oh yes! I just found quinoa flour in one of my local shops so I hope to do some baking with quinoa soon!! 




Adapted from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe
Ingredients (Serves 3)
100g flaked almonds
200g quinoa 
3 tbsp olive oil 
2 onions, peeled, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped 
1 small red chilli, seeds and membrane removed, finely sliced 
2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced 
140g kale, stems removed and shredded 
150ml vegetable stock 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 
Soy sauce, optional


Method
Heat the oven to 180C. Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake until slightly golden and fragrant, stirring once, about six to eight minutes. Leave to cool.


Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the packet. While it's cooking, warm olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onions and fry until softened and beginning to turn golden. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger, and sauté for a couple of minutes. Throw in the kale and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Add the stock and simmer until the kale is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the quinoa, stir to combine. Finally add the nuts, season to taste and serve hot or cold, with a splash of soy sauce, if you like.

15 comments:

  1. This quinoa stir-fry looks absolutely wonderful. Hearty, healthy and delicious. Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad sounds wonderful and your pictures are great! I made quinoa for the first time the other night and it was delicious, so now I'm on a quinoa recipe hunt. This one is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replacing rice with quinoa in fried rice - thats dedication

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE quinoa and always looking for new ideas. Using quinoa instead of rice in stir fries is a brilliant and delicious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cooked quinoa almost the same way too and call it fried rice! hahaha...and I think we have the same wooden serving bowls :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly:Thanks for the compliments!
    mj: Thanks! i'm on a quinoa hunt too!
    Three cookies: haha, not too sure if that's dedication. ;) I can't replace it all the time as the hubby will start to complain! haha
    Roxana: Give it a go and I think you'll like it too!
    tigerfish: haha what a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only made quinoa once so far, but using it in a stir fry is a great idea, love the kale in there also. Double thanks to you from Cooking's Good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried quinoa but now I think I should-
    lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this is very hearty and healthy dish! Looks beautiful too! I didn't know you can stir fry quinoa. It's very innovative idea to cook it with kale!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such pretty pictures.. i need those wooden bowls and mat.. and ofcourse the pretty stir fry quinoa too if u can send me some! all those nuts, ginger and chili must taste yumm.
    richa @ http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely try this. I just bought my first bag of quinoa and can't wait to cook it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How come I have missed two dishes with quinoa? This one looks fantastic and both the decoration as well as the dish look surprisingly Japanese (!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious combination - kale is one of my most favourite ingredients. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds tasty! I am always looking for new ways to use quinoa - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! I love how you combined all the ingredients and I also love all the images here because the dish looks really inviting. I'm looking forward to see more updates about stir fry recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...